Creating a professional-looking painting project depends upon how much time and effort you put into the preparation: the better prepped you are, the more successful your outcome is bound to be.
When broken down, tackling a painting project is not as intimidating as it looks. Here are a few simple steps to prepare your room for your painting project:
- Take down any wall hangings or other removable fixtures and the nails holding them up.
- Remove electrical, light and phone switch covers.
- Move furniture out of the room. If this is not an option, place furniture items in the center of the room and cover them with plastic or canvas drop cloths.
- Patch and repair any holes or imperfections in the wall by filling with spackling compound and sanding down to a smooth finish.
- Clean walls with a sponge and a mild detergent solution, cleaning from the bottom up. Be sure to rinse the sponge frequently. Make sure walls and other surfaces to be painted are completely dry before painting.
- Gather and lay out the supplies you’ll need to complete the project, including paint, stirrers, drop cloths or plastic sheeting, brushes, rollers and painting tape.
- Protect everything you don’t want paint on! For the sharpest paint lines and accurate results, apply painter’s tape on trim, window and doorframes and baseboards.
- Apply a pre-taped drop cloth, carpet masking tape or tarp against baseboards to protect the floors.